Request -- UP printer software for Linux

talk about anything
casainho

Request -- UP printer software for Linux

Post by casainho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 pm

I bought an UP printer and I should receive it this month. I have an old computer in the room where the printer will stay and it's running Linux Ubuntu. I don't like the idea to install Windows (the computer is very old and Windows can't run well on it) on it just because of UP printer and so I am requesting UP software for Linux. I can't afford to buy a new computer. Please help me.

trebuchet03

Re: Request -- UP printer software for Linux

Post by trebuchet03 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 am

Alas, there is currently no Linux support and the manufacture has stated over the past few months that they have no intention of supporting Linux in the future :/

Luckily, The Up! software doesn't need a lot of computing power. I'm using windows XP home on an ASUS eee netbook that is 2.5+ years old and under clocked to 1.05GHz (but gets bumped to 1.6 when I run Solidworks). Eventually, I'm going to switch over to a 6 year old desktop with comparable specs (but less RAM) - the Up! software runs fine, I just need to setup a remote monitor to control it.

If your machine can run a modern version of Ubuntu, it should easily be able to handle an old copy of XP and the Up! software ;)
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

jmgiacalone

Post by jmgiacalone » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:26 pm

I run my UP software from Windows XP running inside Sun Virtualbox on a Linux Ubuntu Lucid 64bit host. Works just fine.
jmgiacalone
www.emakershop.com

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm using a laptop that is probably not available outside of secondhand stores, and it works just fine. Takes about 2 minutes to slice and send a basic model, but it works fine!

So all is far from lost. And don't forget, you can unplug the UP! once it starts and take your laptop away with you.

casainho

Post by casainho » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm

jmgiacalone wrote:I run my UP software from Windows XP running inside Sun Virtualbox on a Linux Ubuntu Lucid 64bit host. Works just fine.
Well, did you paid the Sun Virtualbox license + WindowsXP license? -- we are a company and so we can't use Virtualbox Personal Edition. Virtualbox Open Source edition do not have USB working, so we can't connect to UP printer.
-soapy- wrote:I'm using a laptop that is probably not available outside of secondhand stores, and it works just fine. Takes about 2 minutes to slice and send a basic model, but it works fine!

So all is far from lost. And don't forget, you can unplug the UP! once it starts and take your laptop away with you.
We would like to avoid paid for WindowsXP license. I would like to use Linux because runs on old computer we have and so we wouldn't have to pay more (Windows license) than just the UP printer cost.

jmgiacalone

Post by jmgiacalone » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Windows XP licence is not expensive, and people often have spare copies from dead PCs. Virtualbox 4.0 is open source and has USB1.1 support.

But I do agree a Linux version of the UP software would be the best solution.
jmgiacalone
www.emakershop.com

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 am

casainho wrote:
jmgiacalone wrote:I run my UP software from Windows XP running inside Sun Virtualbox on a Linux Ubuntu Lucid 64bit host. Works just fine.
Well, did you paid the Sun Virtualbox license + WindowsXP license? -- we are a company and so we can't use Virtualbox Personal Edition. Virtualbox Open Source edition do not have USB working, so we can't connect to UP printer.
-soapy- wrote:I'm using a laptop that is probably not available outside of secondhand stores, and it works just fine. Takes about 2 minutes to slice and send a basic model, but it works fine!

We would like to avoid paid for WindowsXP license. I would like to use Linux because runs on old computer we have and so we wouldn't have to pay more (Windows license) than just the UP printer cost.
If it's for a company, the license is 100% legit tax deductible (even if sole proprietorship) - plus, the proverbial spend money to make money applies here. These tools pay the bills ;)

If Windows is absolutely not possible for your company - given the current stated intentions from the mfr, you're probably best to hold off on purchasing the machine. You'll waste more value in the time trying to get the machine working outside of mfr support than the cost of an old computer with an equally old copy of windows (XP is is approaching it's 10 year old birthday :) ). If you're willing to invest that time, I'm sure the community won't stop you ;)
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Indeed - I'm a company (in fact, more than one) and grabbing a really old laptop with XP on it set me back about £50 - that's less than the cost of the XP on it's own. As a percentage of the price of the UP!, it's nothing, really.

Also, it's a false economy - I spend more time waiting for the UP! to start now than I should because the laptop takes so long to process things!

Once I get the networking issues sorted out, this machine will probably go out there, and I'll upgrade my main machine. After all, time is money, and all that.