Heat Switch upgrade -> finally did it...

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
stormychel

Heat Switch upgrade -> finally did it...

Postby stormychel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:03 am

So I finally uograded the 60° heat switch to a 80° one.

Clearly, PP3DP does not want us to do this, as my original switch was glued to the bottom of the hotplate, and the top of the screw was soldered shut. I did not let me stop this, I have a big print in queue and it really needs to be done, so I just cut the legs of the original one and cracked it apart as far as I could.

Then I hotmelted the new one on the other side of the holes (seems to get a little soft when plate is hot so probably not the brightest idea), and soldered it onto the 2 holes. This is temporary, as I ordered a nex 60° switch so I can switch between the two in a later stage.

The result is a hotter heat bed, but temperature varies across the surface. But wit the stock one this variation was MAX 60° in the left top corner, and only around 40 in the bottom right one (where the switch is, so I don't really understand why it didn't get to 80/60.
After the mod this is 80°/60°, although I hoped to get over the 60° in the bottom right, this will do for now. Will probably try again with a 90° switch later (ordered).
@stormychel

roller

Re: Heat Switch upgrade -> finally did it...

Postby roller » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 am

Just let it sit an heat longer - we have to do this with the Plus too ... just let the heat soak through everything. If you still dont get a good enough spread try a plate under the perfboard like an aluminium or copper sheet. 3mm alum is good if you can get it as it adds a bit of thermal mass but copper will be a much better conductor.

stormychel

Re: Heat Switch upgrade -> finally did it...

Postby stormychel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:24 am

Ok, will try to find some 140x140mm copper plate today :)

The big ABS print worked yay!

20141023_124049863_iOS.jpg
20141023_124049863_iOS.jpg (225.45 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

Did some PLA as well (2 5 hour prints), and because the printer does'nt (or rarely) seem to heat the plate when printing PLA, I decided to just keep the 80° C switch on, without an option to switch back.
@stormychel

Return to “Look! My Mod”