Please help me with "Out of print range" errors

How print better models
jaybad

Please help me with "Out of print range" errors

Postby jaybad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 am

Hi fellow UP users,

I just unboxed my printer last night but got stuck trying to print a calibration model (or any model even a little nut). I get the following error:

"Calibrate96(X:122.48 ~-17.52, Y: 17.60 ~122.20) is out of print range (X:-140.00 ~ -310.63; Y:0.00 ~140.00)"

Why is X showing as negative? I tried all kinds of values for X & Y ranging from 50 to 300 but still got the error. I can't print anything so far. :|

Tried:

Reset to defaults multiple times
X / Y values from 50 to 300
Maintenance vertical alignment
Previous ROM versions
Updated to V.1.14 software
Uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled V. 1.13
Talked to VP of American Reseller on his day off. Said first time he had customer with this problem. Was so angry at first I threatened to return the printer on their dime & buy a premade makerbot.

He also said he'd ask the UP engineers & I'm waiting to here back from them. First chance the VP can get back to me is Monday morning. None of the things I saw mentioned in previous forum threads have solved this critical error. If you can help me, I'd be very thankful.

Cheers,

A frustrated inventor...
Last edited by jaybad on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaybad

Re: Please help me with "Out of print range" errors

Postby jaybad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:55 am

Also tried Ver. 1.12 for kicks. Sigh...thought this was supposed to be an easy out of box experience. :|

wackojacko

Postby wackojacko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:22 am

Have you set the nozzle height?
is your model small, does it fit inside the build area?
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprintingsystems/playlists

darkhouse

Postby darkhouse » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:23 am

jaybad wrote:Hi fellow UP users,

I just unboxed my printer last night but got stuck trying to print a calibration model (or any model even a little nut). I get the following error:

"Calibrate96(X:122.48 ~-17.52, Y: 17.60 ~122.20) is out of print range (X:-140.00 ~310.63; Y:0.00 ~140.00)"

Why is X showing as negative? I tried all kinds of values for X & Y ranging from 50 to 300 but still got the error. I can't print anything so far. :|

Tried:

He also said he'd ask the UP engineers & I'm waiting to here back from them. First chance the VP can get back to me is Monday morning. None of the things I saw mentioned in previous forum threads have solved this critical error. If you can help me, I'd be very thankful.

Cheers,

A frustrated inventor...

Hi jaybad,

Did you place the calibrate96 model manually? the part should be placed at the center of platform.
calibrate.png
calibrate.png (93.51 KiB) Viewed 11476 times

The platform move on X axis, so the range of the X axis is -140 ~ 0(mm)

Please click the "auto place" button on the toolbar. it will placement the part at center of platform.

darkhouse

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 am

Hi guys,

Yup, I set the nozzle height between .2 & .8 mm. I also tried negative numbers for X/Y & that wouldn't take.
I also made sure to have a small enough model that was auto placed on the grid. Even a tiny little nut much smaller then the calibration model wouldn't print.

Madox

Postby Madox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 am

jaybad wrote:Hi guys,

Yup, I set the nozzle height between .2 & .8 mm. I also tried negative numbers for X/Y & that wouldn't take.
I also made sure to have a small enough model that was auto placed on the grid. Even a tiny little nut much smaller then the calibration model wouldn't print.

0.2 & 0.8 from the platform right?
So the value you entered should be in the range of 130mm->140mm (approx), yes?

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm

The default is 124. Tried values between 130-140, all the way from 50-300. Doesn't matter what values I put for X/Y or how small the model is I'm still getting the "Model out of print range" error.

I actually paid extra over a premade makerbot to supposedly have an easier out of box experience but so far after the hours I've spent just trying to print a cal model (or any model) I'm regretting this decision & wish I would have gone w/ Makerbot even at a lower resolution. I'm not impressed at all so far. Took these guys (x-object) a month from ordering for me to receive this printer (charged me 2 day air & sent it UPS ground). If I had gone thru Makerbot they would've finished a premade TOM for me right about now & I'd be getting it this week.

Unfortunately, at the moment this thing's a 3 grand paperweight & the software looks buggy as hell (what the hell is up w/ it not being able to do a vertical calibration in calibration?) Life's too short to be wasting my time with buggy software/hardware & this thing's already delayed the product rollout I had planned.

Maybe this printer has worked out for most of the rest of you but so far it's fallen far short of my expectations.

wackojacko

Postby wackojacko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 pm

If you like I can remote your pc and have a look at it using www.cross loop.com, pm me your email.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprintingsystems/playlists

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Thank you for the offer jacko & no offense to you but I'll have to decline the invitation at this time. Nothing personal but I've never heard of that program, I'm new here & I have to be a bit paranoid at least until I've submit provisional patent paperwork for the item I'm trying to print. I do appreciate the offer however.

Madox

Postby Madox » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 am

I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, did you 'Autoplace' the model after loading it?

William

Postby William » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:55 am

I'd agree with Madox.

Once you "Open" a model, it typically shows up to the lower left of the "print platform" inside the program.

First click the "autoplace" icon at the top, which should place it at the center of the build platform.

It doesn't matter too much how you had it setup in your .stl. The autoplace will take care of it.

Once it's placed at the center of the build platform, just press "print" and go on from there.

Hopefully you can get past this first day's frustrations. I was hung up for the longest time because I didn't realize I had to press the "Initialize" before anything else would work. That took me a good few hours to figure out.

Nowadays, I just print happily along. You could get a pre-built TOM, or even an UltiMaker, or the brand spanking new Mosaic. I'd go for the Mosaic, or Ultimaker. The Ultimaker because it has the largest print area, and the Mosaic, because it's the most like the Up!, MakerGear has an awesome stepper driven extruder, and it's fairly simple design.

-- William

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks fellas. Yes, after initialize I have autoplaced any models I try to print & they're nowhere close to the borders of the grid. Tried scaling objects down, objects up. Nada. Same error, even low quality, low fill modes. Weird that my X value is showing as ~ -310.63. Is negative normal?

What X,Y,Z, H values are you guys using in calibrate?

The VP of x-object agreed that this appeared to be a software issue since the printer responds to movement & alignment commands. Including the day it arrived, this is day three of having it but not being able to print anything.

odiegel

Postby odiegel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Jay,
Sounds like your STL may have a defect with a little sliver way off in the middle of nowhere that shouldnt be there (probably around 310mm from it's origin?). Have you tried opening your STL file with any other software? and what CAD package did you use to create it?
Cheers
Olaf

odiegel

Postby odiegel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 am

Ignore that comment. I just read properly, and realize that you say that any models you are opening are behaving stangely, which means its not an STL problme.
Cheers
Olaf

darkhouse

Postby darkhouse » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 am

Hi jaybad,

I repeat your problems when i set the Z (in the calibrate dialog box) to 40.

Do the calibrate again. First click the "Reset" button, and then click "OK" to finish the calibrate. Select "OK" when the "Vertical calibrate?" is popped.

Good lucking.

Darkhouse.

DrewPetitclerc

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi jaybad,

I had a similar experience with our printer here at the office, I looked over the manual and the missing step is when you go to the "Calibrate" menu to enter your values you "MUST" hit the "Reset" button to zero out the previouse value otherwise the system just adds you new values to the current set, if you have repeatedly entered new values "XY:" and "XZ" degrees can really be screwed, when we saw a small model getting more and more "Leaning Tower of Pizza" on us and any model large enough to be near an edge thus "leaning out of the build area we got the message.

Hit that reset button and you should see the values go to "0.00Deg" at the top of the Calibrate menu window.

I hope this is it as I'm very happy with my experience and hope you will be too.

Regards
Drew

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Well this printer hasn't worked out so far but the user community is super helpful.

I noticed those garbage values in calibrate. Resetting & using defaults or resetting & using my own numbers didn't help either but thank you for the suggestion.

Looks like the reseller is shipping a replacement printer tomorrow. I hope that solves my problem.

trebuchet03

Postby trebuchet03 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 am

Just out of curiosity.... What operating system are you using?

In terms of trying to eliminate potential issues - do you have another computer you could try to use for a test?

Also, sorry to hear that it didn't work out of the box :( It's not common, but nobody want's to be a part of the small % that will have issues :/
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am

The OS is Windows 7 64-bit using the latest ROM & printer software. Unfortunately, my desktop PC went to motherboard heaven so I don't have another PC to test w/ besides this laptop I'm using. Had a sweet Battlefield 3 rig planned as a replacement but I've decided to put that on hold while I finally get one of my neato inventions out the door.

The new Inspect tool notes that there is no SD card. Is that normal for a new recent Up?
Last edited by jaybad on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

jaybad

Postby jaybad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 am

BTW, I do have to give big props to X-object, the American reseller of Up, for taking care of a problem printer. They had a replacement printer packed for shipping at the end of the day.

The printer was personally tested to print something. I wouldn't be surprised that they make this SOP after my experience. They're going to basically pay to ship me a printer 3 times: the original, the replacement & shipping to send the replacement back. Ouch. They're letting me keep the reel of filament for having to wait another week for a working printer.

The way I see it, it's a learning experience because I'm going to have to deal w/ complaints & returns when it comes time for me to sell my inventions. I'll tell you this much about this invention I'm printing & assembling w/ my electronics background: it involves reducing communicable diseases for a certain aspect of food preparation, which is all all I'll say about that at the moment. Field tests were phenomenal & the few people I've trusted to see it (including several engineers) agree it works very, very well for its intended purpose.

Planning a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo rollout based on the assembled output of this printer very soon once I can print & test final prototypes.

Return to “UPers”